Saturday, August 2, 2008

Who is Ohighway ?



Who is Ohighway? Here are the facts, in no particular order:

* Born in Gary, Indiana and spent his first 11 years of life in that area. Lived near Dayton, Ohio from age 12 through 18. Located in the greater Baltimore-Washington area since 1978.

*Educated in Catholic school grades K through 8. Public High school graduate, college dropout.

*55 on the outside, 35 on the inside.

*Married, for the second time.

*Has four kids. Three boys ages 13, 11, and 7. One girl 3 1/2.

* Aerospace Engineering Technician, employed for the last 30 years at your favorite Government Space Agency.

* Is an INTP or INFP depending on which day he takes his Meyers-Briggs test.

* Has big ideas, but is not so great at implementing them. Often plagued by lack of self motivation, and/or procrastination.

*Can get along with nearly everyone, unless they're overly rude, loud, or pushy.

* Is Caucasian and proud of it. Believes that "white guilt" perpetuated by minorities is a scam and a shakedown and that anyone who falls for it is a sucker.

*Favorite color is green. Purple and Orange are a close second and third.

*Believes in a higher authority, or God if you will. (as evidenced in children and dogs, a blog for another time) However does not buy into "organized religion" .

*Has a love of most things technical. Understands and appreciates logic and technical concepts. Is good with his hands. Good at fixing things.

*Has a huge distaste for politicians and politics.

*Believes that violence, not sex, is the ultimate obscenity.

*Appreciates the female form, and makes absolutely no apologies for doing so.

*Has an interest in style, art, design and music. Inherently knows what he likes, doesn't need any so called "experts" to tell him what is good, bad, or what he SHOULD like.

*Likes a wide variety of music, with exceptions. Country= no. RAP/Hip-Hop = HELL NO. (RAP is missing a letter , should be spelled "CRAP")

*Has a preference for Streamlined, Modern, Art Deco, Mid Century Modern, Shaker, and Mission styles. Basically anything that exhibits simple elegance and simplicity of line.

*Appreciates architecture, including interior design.

*Dislikes the media in general. Is disappointed in the fact that most people allow the media dictate what they should think, like, etc., rather than think for themselves.

*Loves vintage automobiles. Fears that environmental issues and ridiculous fuel costs will kill the hobby.

*Believes that , whether you think global warming is fact or fiction, that we cannot take chances, and need to clean up our act.

* Likes tinkering with vintage audio equipment, clocks, and other "practical" vintage items.

* -Refuses- to get a tattoo.......... one way of showing his individuality. >:~)

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

You march to the beat of your own drummer and aren't afraid to show it - I like that. If more people weren't so afraid to be themselves, we'd have a lot less of that sheep mentality we've been kicking around for a bit now!

Thanks for the insight!

Ohighway said...

Well.... I do have my own thoughts on things. OTOH, I have to conform a bit just like everyone else.... just to get along in this world.

Capcom said...

Heheh, this was a good read. :-D

My mother's family is from Valparaiso, near Gary. I think that one of my uncles lived in Gary once.

I love the simplicity of Shaker genius as well. The Shakers might disagree with you about the sex thing though, heheh.

Good post! :-)

Ohighway said...

I used to live pretty close to Valpo... I remember a really good restaurant there, Strongbow Turkey Inn. They raised their own birds. I think it's still there.

I like simple things. Maybe that makes me a simpleton? ;~)

Oh yeah, the sex thing. THAT raises eyebrows more than just about anything else I hit people with. I can only conclude that we as a society: 1) secretly approve of violence -or- 2)have just become conditioned to accept it.

Still it baffles me. Something pleasurable is considered obscene, and people go into a panic if they so much as see a naked breast on TV. However horrific violence, like watching people get holes blown in them, complete with blood and guts, seems to barely register on their radar. I just don't get it.

Capcom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capcom said...

I don't either. But I have to confess that I am one of those who would prefer the violence over the sexual content, and I can't explain why that is yet. I'd rather not see either, actually. But I'm still working on that one. Maybe it's a personal thing due to experience? I'd rather be shot than sexually assaulted myself, so.....????

But the poor Shakers don't have much to say now, since they un-sexed their way to extinction pretty much. :-o

Ohighway said...

I should probably clarify something. When I say sex I'm talking about either consensual sex and/or nudity.
At the point in time you start talking about sexual assault, then in my mind you're really talking about violence.

Now that being said I'm not depicting blatant, graphic sex. But even if it was I think I'd prefer that to violence of any sort.

Ohighway said...

Whoops, skipped a couple words on that last part. It should have read:
"Now that being said I'm not advocating depicting blatant, graphic sex. But even if it was overly graphic, I think I'd prefer that to violence of any sort."

Capcom said...

Roger that. :-)

I still want to cover young kids' eyes at movies showing consenting content, and not shoot-em-up stuff. Don't know why. I can't explain it. Although The Dark Knight had a pretty violent villian which made me cringe, I was happy to see that TDK at least didn't show people blowing up and bleeding out graphically like in most movies these days. Thankfully they mostly did all that off-camera.

Ohighway said...

Yeah, well you're certainly not the only one. Most people I talk to share your view, yet appear to be at a loss to explain the reason why. I really wish someone COULD explain it to me as I'm curious. From my end the only thing I can come up with is this. Maybe sex is considered "personal" and violence "impersonal"?? Since I'm not the one that feels that way I can't tell you !!