Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trummerfrau

Sometimes things you see cover a lot of bases. At a minimum this one falls under the categories of "Deja Vu" and "Must be in the genes". Struck me as funny for sure.

We (me and 3 of 4 kids) just returned from a trip to Dayton, Ohio. While visiting I took the kids to the Air Force Museum. ( a MUST SEE if you're ever in the area.....just a top notch facility)

Now amidst all the planes, jets and rockets I spotted the following display.


I found it interesting..... certainly didn't know this before. But I just kept getting this nagging feeling of familiarity.

And then it hit me..... I've actually seen something similar before! -My- wife, at our house....


So there you go..... I've been married to a Trummerfrau all this time and didn't even know. I guess it makes sense. After all, she is part German.

As an aside, re-using brick worked pretty well for us. Below you can see it being removed from an existing wall, and it was re-used (after recovery efforts by 'mein Trammerfrau') on the area above the new porch.


4 comments:

Capcom said...

:-D

I guess that's one thing that women do best...nurturing and putting the world back together, making it livable for everyone around them.

Ohighway said...

I agree with your assessment about women, generally speaking anyway. I sure wouldn't want to live without them!

In the case of the WWII Trummerfrauen, they did the work for survival, not a labor of love. The harder they worked, the more food allowance they got.

In the case of MY Trummerfrau, the work was done because of a very strong desire for matching brick!!

Rebecca said...

It's a good thing, because moving bricks is a heavy job! The harder they worked, the more food they got, probably because the more bricks you move, the HUNGRIER you are! ;-) Cute story - hope the vacation was nice!

Capcom said...

Wow, I have to do some research about those women and learn more. In the series "Band of Brothers" they show a German town doing that kind of work on their rubble.