Friday, May 30, 2008

Hang Some Trim, Lose a Daughter / 5-30-2008


First things first. We found her.

Busy hanging trim in the new addition. (home improvements will probably end up under a separate Blog) Learning to handle my new toys, a sliding compound miter saw, and a pneumatic finish nailer. Neat stuff. Anyway, I was making great progress, then WHAM. All kinds of shouting and scurrying around. The problem. N3 (name and age) is gone. Just like that..... gone. Her bike is at the end of the driveway (a good 600 ft from the house) but she's nowhere to be found. So WA (Wife A) and J13 (oldest son) head out in the car to look. A11 (second son) heads out on his bike, and I hop in the car with R7 (third son). We can't find her.

A11 finally gets the bright idea that she might have gone to our nieghbor's house, a good 1/4 mile away or more. I'm convinced N3 can't find their house. A11 goes anyway. Pretty soon the call comes in ........ A11 had success. Found her. She'd ditched her bike, then walked the whole distance barefoot to go and see the neighbor's cats.

I'm glad she's not shy, or a wallflower. But too bold isn't great either. She's a bit too young to be really upset with, but somehow we've got to get her to understand that she can't wander off by herself. This is the second time in a week, the first she was just at the top of the driveway, but across the street.

8 comments:

Capcom said...

Whew!!!!!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh my. Hate to say it, but you're not alone. Doncha just love that feeling of stark terror while you're on the hunt? Glad you found her safe and sound!

Ohighway said...

Rebecca, N3 is the only girl, and the youngest of the 4 kids. However she is the boldest, and most stubborn.....

Actually there wasn't too much "terror" involved with this incident. It was in our neighborhood, and I had a hard time envisioning anything too bad happening.

4 years ago was a different story, When R7 was only 3. We were at a water park near DC. One moment he was there, the next he was gone. We were in a virtual sea of people, and next to a big wave pool that I'm sure he couldn't handle on his own. THAT was terror. Some kind soul took him to the main office, and that's where we found him.

Capcom said...

Thank the Lord for Angels in water parks!

Rebecca said...

Oh, that must've been terrible. When one of mine was, oh, about 15 months old, same thing happened. One second he was toddling along with us at a very crowded fall festival, I looked up at a display of pewter in a booth, I looked down and he was just GONE. It couldn't have been more than 10 seconds! I wildly looked for my husband, saw he didn't have him, and literally screamed at the top of my lungs "Where'd he GO?" Which made everyone within about a 25 foot radius stop and stare. But then there he was - 15 feet away, hidden behind people, etc... I didn't MEAN to scream, but in the end, it worked. I've never felt such fear in all my life.

Ohighway said...

Yeah that was terrible, terror plain and simple. Not to say the neighborhood incident with N3 wasn't bad. She traveled no less than 3 streets to get over to see the cats (amazes me she knew the directions to get there) and as such there was the potential danger of getting hit by a car. But it would be a real fluke for someone to be looking to snatch a kid at that exact point in time.... so that didn't concern me.

C.S. said...

Hey OH! Think your wife might get upset by being referred to as "Wife A"? That's sort of the equivalent of "I'd like you to meet my first wife..." :)

Ohighway said...

Hah! I had a freind who would introduce his wife as his "first" wife. That really offended her. Actually according to my anonymous naming system, she should have been referred to as Wife 43 as I was using ages with the kids. And technically she's wife B if we're talking chronological order............